Resources for Real Estate Licensees

SCAM NOTICE: Have you been contacted by someone claiming to be from the DCCA regarding an investigation into your license attempting to intimidate you into divulging personal information? Please read our emergency scam notice to protect yourself. 

Real Estate License Renewal


Real Estate License and Business Registration Search
  • Professional & Vocational Licensing Search
    Look up information about individuals or businesses licensed by PVL
  • Business Name Search
    DCCA recommends that you look at: 1) when the business was established, 2) the names of the people involved in the business, and 3) any previous names of the business. The names gathered from this search can be used in the Complaint History search above.
Professional and Vocational Licensing Division Information

Hours of Operation
The DCCA will be open 7:45 AM – 4:30 PM (Hawaii Standard Time), Monday to Friday, except state holidays.

King Kalakaua Building
335 Merchant Street, Rm. 301
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801

Professional and Vocational Licensing - (808) 586-3000

  • Request an application
  • Inquire about licensing requirements
  • Applicants can check on the status of an application
  • Inquire about licensee maintenance requirements

Real Estate Branch Telephone: (808) 586-2643

Laws and Rules Related to Real Estate Licensees

Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) that pertain specifically to Real Estate Licensees.
These are unofficial HRS.

  • HRS Chapter 436B – Professional and Vocational Licensing Law
  • HRS Chapter 467 – Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons

Hawaii Administrative Rules that pertain to specifically to Real Estate Licensees.

  • HAR Chapter 99 – Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons

Other Real Estate Related Laws and Rules

  • HRS Chapter 26 – Executive and Administrative Departments
  • HRS Chapter 91 – Hawaii Administrative Procedures Act (unofficial)
  • HRS Chapter 92 – Public Agency Meetings and Records
  • HRS Chapter 514B – Condominiums
  • HRS Chapter 508D – Mandatory Seller Disclosures in Real Estate Transactions
  • HRS Chapter 521 – Residential Landlord-Tenant Code
  • HAR Chapter 53 – Fees Relating to Boards and Commissions
  • HAR Chapter 107 – Rules Relating to Horizontal Property Regimes
  • HAR Chapter 201 – Administrative Practice and Procedure (unofficial)
Search Complaint History

Licensee complaint history search (RICO)

This link allows you to search Regulated Industries complaints Office (RICO) complaints information. This site provides information about complaints involving professions licensed by the Professional and Vocational Licensing Division as well as unlicensed activity investigations related to those professions. For complaints against Cable Franchises, Financial Institutions, Securities Dealers, Insurance Entities, and Utilities please check with the appropriate DCCA agency. Also search business complaints history search.

Maintaining Your Real Estate License Information
  • Updating Your License Information - Change Form – Real Estate (Fillable PDF)  (Non-Fillable PDF)
    • Change resident, mailing, or business address
    • Request a duplicate license
    • Change, add, or delete a TRADE NAME
    • Change legal NAME OF ENTITY or INDIVIDUAL
      • Updated Entity Resolution is required (Fillable PDF)  (Non Fillable PDF)
    • Surrender a License
    • Inactivate or Reactivate a license
    • Change to Sole Proprietor
    • Change Principal Broker (PB)
    • Add or release Broker-in-charge (BIC)
    • Assigning a Temporary PB or BIC
  • General Information
  • Request your license history - To request your Verification of License, please submit a written request and $15 fee per license ($30 if requesting both Sales and Brokers license history.
    • Check Payable to : Commerce and Consumer Affairs
    • By Mail :
      Licensing Branch – License Verification
      Professional and Vocational Licensing Division
      Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
      P.O. Box 3469
      Honolulu, HI 96801
    • Office Location :
      335 Merchant Street, Suite 301
      Honolulu, HI 96813
  • Restoring your real estate license - Please review the Restore a Hawaii License (PDF) memorandum on procedures for restoration of forfeited real estate licenses.
  • Resolve getting your license released - Please see the Real Estate Commission’s memorandum (PDF) outlining the Procedures for Handling Difficulties with a Releasing Broker.
  • Real Estate License Renewal
    • MyPVL
    • A MyPVL account is necessary for renewing your real estate license.

NOTE: It is only during the renewal period that a renewal link is provided within the MyPVL account.

Continuing Education Resources
  • Continuing Education Requirements
  • Create and Maintain a MyPVL Account
    • A MyPVL account is necessary for viewing your CE history; including the ability to print course completion certificate.  Additionally, principal brokers are able to obtain CE information on licensees associated with their brokerage.
    • MyPVL is a new home for all PVL licensees to access information and services 24/7 from a single dashboard.
  • CE Course and Provider Search - Search by course type, hours, date, title, island, and/or medium (classroom or internet).
Filing a Complaint Against a Real Estate Licensee
  • The Regulated Industries Complaints Office investigates  allegations of professional misconduct by licensees and possible unlicensed activity that may be occurring in the State.
  • Simply complete a RICO complaint form. Complaint forms are available below. You can also call or write and a complaint form will be mailed to you. There is no fee to file a complaint.  There is also no time limit, however, it is best to file your complaint as soon as possible. Complaints that involve situations distant in time are more challenging to investigate.

Real Estate Complaint Form

Search for Disciplinary Actions - Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH)

The Office of Administrative Hearings is responsible for conducting administrative hearings and issuing recommended or final decisions for all divisions within the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs that are required to provide contested case hearings pursuant to the provisions of Hawai`i Revised Statutes Chapters 91 and 92.

OAH Decisions

Information on the Real Estate Recovery Fund

Informational memorandum including general procedures for filing a claim from the Real Estate Recovery Fund.

Real Estate Recovery Fund (PDF)

Other Information of Interest
Ex parte communication with commissioners, license name, advertising clarification, difficulties with releasing broker, difficulties in obtaining experience statement from broker, appointing a temporary principal broker, licensing statistics, sources of information, new fees, SWAT (Slice Waste and Tape) summary, understanding agency disclosure, working with a real estate broker, introduction to general excise tax, and articles from the Department of Taxation.

Links to Other Agencies and Organizations

The links to real estate related sites provided below are for your convenience. The Hawaii Real Estate Commission is not responsible for the content of the sites.

Links to various federal, state, and county resources, in addition to real estate trade organizations, regulatory agencies, and research centers.