Resources for Real Estate Licensees
SCAM NOTICE: Have you been contacted by someone claiming to be from the DCCA regarding an investigation into your license attempting to intimidate you into divulging personal information? Please read our emergency scam notice to protect yourself.
ONLINE RENEWALS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE. PLEASE CALL OUR LICENSING BRANCH TO REQUEST A HARD-COPY RESTORATION AT (808) 586-3000.
- Renewal FAQ (PDF)
- Renewal Fees
- Renewal Notice to Principal Brokers (PDF)
- How To Guides:
- Find Available Commission-Approved Continuing Education Courses
- Professional & Vocational Licensing Search
Look up information about individuals or businesses licensed by PVL
- Business Name Search
DCCA recommends that you look at: 1) when the business was established, 2) the names of the people involved in the business, and 3) any previous names of the business. The names gathered from this search can be used in the Complaint History search above.
Hours of Operation
The DCCA will be open 7:45 AM – 4:30 PM (Hawaii Standard Time), Monday to Friday, except state holidays.
King Kalakaua Building
335 Merchant Street, Rm. 301
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801
Professional and Vocational Licensing - (808) 586-3000
- Request an application
- Inquire about licensing requirements
- Applicants can check on the status of an application
- Inquire about licensee maintenance requirements
Real Estate Branch Telephone: (808) 586-2643
Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) that pertain specifically to Real Estate Licensees.
These are unofficial HRS.
- HRS Chapter 436B – Professional and Vocational Licensing Law
- HRS Chapter 467 – Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons
Hawaii Administrative Rules that pertain to specifically to Real Estate Licensees.
- HAR Chapter 99 – Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons
- HRS Chapter 26 – Executive and Administrative Departments
- HRS Chapter 91 – Hawaii Administrative Procedures Act (unofficial)
- HRS Chapter 92 – Public Agency Meetings and Records
- HRS Chapter 514B – Condominiums
- HRS Chapter 508D – Mandatory Seller Disclosures in Real Estate Transactions
- HRS Chapter 521 – Residential Landlord-Tenant Code
- HAR Chapter 53 – Fees Relating to Boards and Commissions
- HAR Chapter 107 – Rules Relating to Horizontal Property Regimes
- HAR Chapter 201 – Administrative Practice and Procedure (unofficial)
This link allows you to search Regulated Industries complaints Office (RICO) complaints information. This site provides information about complaints involving professions licensed by the Professional and Vocational Licensing Division as well as unlicensed activity investigations related to those professions. For complaints against Cable Franchises, Financial Institutions, Securities Dealers, Insurance Entities, and Utilities please check with the appropriate DCCA agency. Also search business complaints history search.
- Updating Your License Information - Change Form – Real Estate (Fillable PDF) (Non-Fillable PDF)
- Change resident, mailing, or business address
- Request a duplicate license
- Change, add, or delete a TRADE NAME
- Change legal NAME OF ENTITY or INDIVIDUAL
- Updated Entity Resolution is required (Fillable PDF) (Non Fillable PDF)
- Surrender a License
- Inactivate or Reactivate a license
- Change to Sole Proprietor
- Complete an "Application for License: Real Estate Sole Proprietor (Fillable PDF) (Non Fillable PDF)
- Change Principal Broker (PB)
- For an ENTITY an Updated Entity Resolution is required (Fillable PDF) (Non Fillable PDF)
- Add or release Broker-in-charge (BIC)
- Assigning a Temporary PB or BIC
- General Information
- Request your license history - To request your Verification of License, please submit a written request and $15 fee per license ($30 if requesting both Sales and Brokers license history.
- Check Payable to : Commerce and Consumer Affairs
- By Mail :
Licensing Branch – License Verification
Professional and Vocational Licensing Division
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801
- Office Location :
335 Merchant Street, Suite 301
Honolulu, HI 96813
- Restoring your real estate license - Please review the Restore a Hawaii License (PDF) memorandum on procedures for restoration of forfeited real estate licenses.
- Resolve getting your license released - Please see the Real Estate Commission’s memorandum (PDF) outlining the procedures for handling difficulties with a releasing broker.
- Real Estate License Renewal
NOTE: It is only during the renewal period that a renewal link is provided within the MyPVL account.
- Continuing Education Requirements
- Create and Maintain a MyPVL Account
- A MyPVL account is necessary for viewing your CE history; including the ability to print course completion certificate. Additionally, principal brokers are able to obtain CE information on licensees associated with their brokerage.
- MyPVL is a new home for all PVL licensees to access information and services 24/7 from a single dashboard.
- CE Course and Provider Search - Search by course type, hours, date, title, island, and/or medium (classroom or internet).
- The Regulated Industries Complaints Office investigates allegations of professional misconduct by licensees and possible unlicensed activity that may be occurring in the State.
- Simply complete a RICO complaint form. Complaint forms are available below. You can also call or write and a complaint form will be mailed to you. There is no fee to file a complaint. There is also no time limit, however, it is best to file your complaint as soon as possible. Complaints that involve situations distant in time are more challenging to investigate.
The Office of Administrative Hearings is responsible for conducting administrative hearings and issuing recommended or final decisions for all divisions within the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs that are required to provide contested case hearings pursuant to the provisions of Hawai`i Revised Statutes Chapters 91 and 92.
Informational memorandum including general procedures for filing a claim from the Real Estate Recovery Fund.
- Ex Parte Communication with Commissioners (PDF)
Informational Memorandum regarding ex parte communication with commissioners.
- Client Trust Accounts (mp4 videos)
- License Name (PDF)
Information on legal names and license names. April 11, 2001 amendment to the Real Estate Commission's February 25, 2000 memorandum entitled “Decisions on Legal and License Names and Advertising.”
- Advertising Clarification on §16-99-11(e)(3), Hawaii Administrative Rules (PDF)
August 30, 2002 memorandum clarifying license designations in advertising and promotional materials.
- Procedures for Difficulties with Releasing Broker on the Change Form or Experience Statement by Broker (PDF)
Informational memorandum outlining the procedures for handling difficulties with releasing broker or in obtaining an experience statement from your broker.
- Temporary Principal Broker or Broker-In-Charge
General information on temporary principal broker or broker-in-charge.
- New Fees
- Licensing fees effective October 2014.
- SWAT Summary (PDF)
SWAT (Slice Waste and Tape) changes to real estate licensing rules (Chapter 99, Hawaii Administrative Rules).
- Understanding Agency Disclosure - A Guidebook for Real Estate Professionals (PDF)
- Working with a Real Estate Broker - Important Information for Anyone Planning to Buy or Sell Real Property (PDF)
- General Excise Tax Information
Department of Taxation.
- A Message from the Department of Taxation
An ongoing series of articles from the Department of Taxation specifically for real estate licensees.
The links to real estate related sites provided below are for your convenience. The Hawaii Real Estate Commission is not responsible for the content of the sites.