Most people are not aware that a professional or vocational license is required before you can work in certain industries. There are currently over 48 different industries in which a professional or vocational license is required. These industries are the kind that affect the health, safety, and welfare of Hawaii’s citizens.

The Regulated Industries Complaints Office (RICO) is a statewide agency of the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. It is the enforcement arm for the various professions and vocations that are licensed in the State. RICO investigates allegations of professional misconduct by licensees and also investigates possible unlicensed activity that may be occurring in the State. RICO’s partner agency, the Professional and Vocational Licensing Division, accepts applications and issues licenses for the various licensing boards, commissions, and programs. RICO also administers the State Certified Arbitration Program (SCAP) for “lemon” vehicles.

Are you in the process of selecting a person or company to hire? Go to Check Out a Business Online for a one-stop site that lets you check an individual or company’s complaints history at RICO, look up a business’ complaints history with the Office of Consumer Protection (OCP), conduct a business name search, check an individual or company’s licensing information, and check on whether the individual or company holds a general excise tax license. Or call our office at 587-4272 and we can give you information over the telephone. Also, if you’re thinking about a home improvement project, visit our Hire a Licensed Contractor site. This website is dedicated to assisting consumers in evaluating and choosing a licensed contractor.

For a more detailed explanation about RICO, see our Overview/Services, or click on the following links for information about a specific profession or vocation:

Button Barbers Cosmetology Electrology
CEmetery flower
Employment Agencies
Button Port Pilots
Pest Control
Button Private Detectives and Guard Agencies
Button Travel Agencies
Button Uniform Athlete Agents