How do I register a complaint against a product or service recently acquired from a contractor, store, or business venture?

The Division of Consumer Advocacy is responsible for matters related to regulated utilities. If you need assistance in dealing with a complaint related to retail, hotel, or business services, or a defective product you have purchased please refer your inquiries to the Office of Consumer Protection or the Consumer Resource Center. These offices will be able to better assist you with general questions and direct you to the resources needed to resolve your concern.