News Release: Team From Iolani School Wins Hawaii LifeSmarts CompetitionPosted on Feb 7, 2015 in BREG, News Releases
DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS
DAVID Y. IGE
CATHERINE P. AWAKUNI COLÓN
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 7, 2015
TEAM FROM IOLANI SCHOOL WINS HAWAII LIFESMARTS STATE COMPETITION
HONOLULU – A team from Iolani School was crowned state champions at the 11th annual Hawaii LifeSmarts competition, which was held today at the State Capitol Auditorium.
This game-show style competition, a national program run locally by the Office of the Securities Commissioner, tests students on their knowledge of personal finance, health and safety, the environment, technology, and consumer rights and responsibilities.
The members of the winning team are: Matthew Azama, Justus Wataru, Bailey Sylvester, Norton Kishi, and Noah Asada. The team was coached by James Rubasch. The team will go on to represent Hawaii at the national competition in Seattle, WA, April 17-20, 2015.
“It’s exciting to see students learn about personal finance, technology, health and safety, the environment as well as consumer rights and responsibilities, in a fun and productive environment,” said DCCA Director Catherine Awakuni Colón. “Congratulations to all of our participants and to our winning team from Iolani School.”
“We are so proud of all the students and coaches who participated and worked so hard to represent their schools. A special congratulation to the team from Iolani School, our new 2015 State Champions, who will go on to compete in the national competition,” said Securities Commissioner Tung Chan.
The LifeSmarts program is run by the National Consumers League and locally by the DCCA Office of the Securities Commissioner, in partnership with the Hawaii Credit Union League. Local sponsors for the Hawaii State Competition include:
- A Catered Experience
- Aloha Pacific FCU
- BBB of Hawaii
- Certified Hawaiian
- Hawaii Construction Alliance
- Hawaii Regional Council of Carpenters
- Operative Plasterers’ and Cement Masons’ Union, Local 630
- International Union of Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers, Local 1
- Laborers’ International Union of North America, Local 368
- Operating Engineers Local Union No. 3
- Hawaiian Electric Employees FCU
- Hawaii Government Employees Association (HGEA)
- Hawaii State FCU
- Hawaii State Teachers Association (HSTA)
- Hawaii Medical Assurance Association (HMAA)
- Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA)
- Natsunoya Teahouse
- Oahu FCU
- OTS Employees FCU
- Pearl Harbor FCU
- Pagoda Hotel
- United Public Workers (UPW) 646
More information about the Hawaii LifeSmarts program may be found at www.LifeSmartsHawaii.com.