NEWS RELEASE: DCCA Hosts Consumer Protection Fair to Celebrate Military Consumer Protection DayPosted on Jul 7, 2015 in Consumer, Main, News Releases
DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS
DAVID Y. IGE
CATHERINE P. AWAKUNI COLÓN
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 7, 2015
DCCA Hosts Consumer Protection Fair to Celebrate Military Consumer Protection Day
HONOLULU – In honor of Military Consumer Protection Day (MCPD), the state Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) is partnering with the Navy Exchange (NEX) to host a consumer protection fair on Wednesday, July 15, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The event is free and open to the public, and will take place at the NEX, which is located at 4725 Bougainville Drive, Honolulu, HI.
MCPD is a joint initiative with the Department of Defense, Federal Trade Commission, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to empower active and retired service members, military families, veterans, and civilians in the community.
“We are pleased to work with our partners to help consumers learn to better protect themselves,” said DCCA Director Catherine Awakuni Colón. “Consumer education is a top priority at DCCA, and we offer a wide variety of education materials that cover many areas from financial literacy to information on identity theft and scams.”
Representatives from more than two dozen government and nonprofit agencies will be available to answer questions.
In addition, FREE document shredding will be provided by Access from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Consumers can bring their unwanted confidential documents to shred – with a limit of two boxes per household or organization.
The first 100 visitors to the DCCA Consumer Education Program table will receive a FREE misting fan.
Agencies participating in the July 15 MCPD Fair:
- Better Business Bureau
- Consumer Credit Counseling Service of Hawaii
- Department of the Attorney General, CPJA Division
- Hawaii Homeownership Center
- Hawaii SHIP
- Hawaii State Public Library System
- Hickam FCU
- Internal Revenue Service
- IRS – Taxpayer Advocate Service
- Military Family Support Center – JBPHH
- Navy Federal FCU
- Pearl Hawaii FCU, formerly Pearl Harbor FCU
- Region Legal Service Office Hawaii (Navy)
- Senior Medicare Patrol
- State Family Program: Family Assistance Center
- University of Hawaii Cooperative Extension Service
- The State Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA)
- Business Action Center
- Consumer Education Program
- Division of Consumer Advocacy
- Office of Consumer Protection
- Office of the Securities Commissioner
- Regulated Industries Complaints Office
- State Certified Arbitration Program (“Lemon Law”)
Additional information and resources for consumers may be found on the MCPD website: www.military.ncpw.gov.
# # #