Takata Air Bag Recall FAQs

Posted on May 13, 2016 in Main


Updated  May 24, 2017

Q: Where can I learn more about the lawsuit the State of Hawaii filed for unlawful practices in connection with the marketing and sales of vehicles with dangerous Takata airbags to Hawaii consumers?

Q: Where can I find out if my car is affected by the Takata Airbag Recall? 

A: You should visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) recall website, to determine if your car is included within the Takata recalls.  The page is located at:  http://www.safercar.gov/rs/takata/takatalist.html.

At this page, you can check by the make of your vehicle to see if it is, or will be, affected by the Takata air bag recall.  Please note that given the availability of parts, some vehicles on this list are not currently recalled but are scheduled to be included in future expansions.  To confirm if your vehicle is currently under recall please visit https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls.  At this page, you can check by the make, model, and year to see if your car has been recalled.  You can also search by your VIN, or vehicle identification number.

To find your VIN, look on the lower left of your car’s windshield. You should be able to find your 17-digit VIN there. Your VIN is also located on your car’s registration card, and it may also be shown on your insurance card.

Q: Is the list on NHTSA’s website complete?

A: Unfortunately, NHTSA’s list may still change and does not guarantee that a vehicle is or is not part of the recalls.  To be safe you should continue to check NHTSA’s website for updates.


Q: I received a recall notice by mail, where should I take my car to get serviced?

A: Go to the nearest dealer for your car’s manufacturer.  For example, if you own a Honda Civic, call or visit your nearest Honda dealer.  The local dealers for the cars subject to the recall will be able to provide you with more information.


Q: Do I have to be the original owner to qualify under the recall?

A: No.  If you own a car subject to the recall you should immediately make arrangements with the nearest dealer to have its airbag replaced.


Q: Why did I receive another recall notice when my vehicle has already been repaired?

A: Do not ignore a recall notice even if your vehicle has already been repaired.  There are two reasons you may have received another notice.  First, the current recall affects both driver and passenger side inflators, and—although not all vehicles have Takata airbags on both sides, for those that do—both replacement parts may not have been available at the time of your original repair.  Second, some automakers replaced older Takata airbags with newer versions of the same airbag, known as a “like for like” repair.  If you received a like for like replacement, your newer airbag will need to be replaced as well.


Q: I’ve been offered a like for like repair, if it will need to be replaced again anyway can I just wait until the final repair is ready?

A: While the inconvenience of having your vehicle repaired twice is understandable, consumers are  urged not to reject a like for like repair if it is available to them.  According to NHTSA, older airbags are more likely to rupture than newer airbags—some older airbags even have a 50% chance of rupture upon deployment.  Waiting for the final replacement part is not worth the higher risk of injury or death.


Q: Will I be charged to replace the airbag?

A: No. The replacement is free.


Q: I didn’t receive an official recall notice from my car’s manufacturer. Can I still get my car fixed?

A: Yes. You do not need an official recall notice to get your airbag replaced. If your car is under the Takata recall listed on NHTSA’s website you should contact the closest dealer for your car’s manufacturer as soon as possible and schedule an appointment to have your car’s airbag replaced.


Q: I need my car to get around and get to work, how can I get the airbag fixed if I don’t have alternate transportation?

A: You should ask the car dealer for a loaner.  Some, but not all, car companies are providing loaner vehicles or paying for rental cars while you wait for your car to be repaired.


Q: My vehicle is under recall but replacement parts are not yet available, should I disable my airbag myself, or get my mechanic to disable it?

A: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) does not recommend disabling your airbag since doing so poses its own risks.