Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information such as your name, Social Security number, credit card number or other identifying information, without your permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.
Here are ten ways to protect yourself from identity theft.
- Guard your personal information such as Social Security Card, Birth Certificate, Passport, and Bank Cards.
- Use passwords on your accounts & memorize your PIN numbers.
- Use a locked mail box for incoming mail and place your outgoing mail in a postal collection box.
- Shred all your personal information before placing it in the trash
- Be aware of the people around you when using the ATM
- Report lost or stolen credit cards immediately
- Sign new credit cards as soon as you receive them.
- Match your credit cards receipts with your monthly statement to make sure you don’t have any unauthorized charges
- Take your name off national or local marketing or calling lists
- Review your credit reports annually to safeguard your identity.