Building & Repairs

Posted on Apr 2, 2013 in Financial and Consumer Issues, RICO

When it comes to building and repairs, you should always consider hiring a licensed professional to do the work. Licensed contractors, electricians and plumbers have the experience and training to get the job done. Licensed contractors are required to carry liability insurance in case anything happens on a jobsite, and are responsible for any injuries to their employees.

In the State of Hawaii, a contractor’s license is required for any project where the labor and materials are over a thousand dollars and for any project that requires a building permit. Additionally, a licensed electrician is required to perform any electrical work and a licensed plumber is required to perform any plumbing work.

For more information about the importance of hiring a licensed contractor, go to or call the Consumer Resource Center at 587-4272. You can also check to see if an individual or company is currently licensed. We’ll also provide you with complaint history for the individual or company you’re asking about.

Before you start, our office recommends getting at least three written estimates. Make sure all of the estimates are based on the same work and the same materials. Ask for references. And, insist on a written contract. This information, and more, is available at or from the Consumer Resource Center at 587-4272.