My mortgage servicer is one of the five in the national settlement. What should I do?

If you have had any mail sent to you by your servicer, open it to see if there is notification about possible options for your mortgage situation. You can also call the servicers at:

  • Ally/GMAC 800-766-4622
  • Bank of America 877-488-7814
  • CitiGroup 866-272-4749
  • J.P. Morgan Chase 866-372-6901
  • Wells Fargo 800-288-3212

I have mail and phone calls from my servicer, but I am afraid of dealing with them…

Contact one of the Hawaii housing counselor agencies that provide free trained assistance. Housing counselor contact information

I was foreclosed on by one of the five lenders in the settlement…

If you were foreclosed on by one of the five institutions in the national settlement between Jan. 1, 2008 and Dec. 31, 2011, you have until Jan. 18, 2013 to file a claim.

I do not have a mortgage with one of the lenders in the settlement…

The National Mortgage Settlement is not the only assistance available to troubled borrowers. The following Web sites include valuable information for borrowers regardless of whether you are eligible for this settlement:

You may also contact one of Hawaii’s free government-approved housing counselors that will help you.

Loans owned by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac are not impacted by this settlement.  You may visit the following websites to learn if your loan is owned by either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac:

These sites will also include information about mortgage and foreclosure programs you may be eligible to access.

I missed a payment…

Contact your lender immediately to discuss your situation and your options to make a payment.

I am behind more than one payment…

If you have missed your mortgage payments, do not hesitate, contact your lender or a housing counselor. (Find a housing counselor)

I am underwater in my mortgage but current on my payments…

Eligible borrowers will be able to take advantage of the recent historically low interest rates by refinancing their mortgage despite their negative equity. Servicers will have to provide up to $3 billion in refinancing relief nationwide.

I gave money to someone who promised to help me with my mortgage problems…

File a scam complaint with DCCA’s Office of Consumer Protection. Provide all the necessary information to the Office of Consumer Protection. File a consumer complaint with the Office of Consumer Protection. It is illegal for anyone to take money from you before doing the work to get your foreclosure or credit problem worked on. Also read: 6 Things You Should Know About Scams and Common Loan Modification Scams.

I heard about a non-judicial foreclosure program…

The State set up the Mortgage Foreclosure Dispute Resolution program  in 2011 with Act 48.