File a RICO Complaint

The Regulated Industries Complaints Office investigates  allegations of professional misconduct by licensees and possible unlicensed activity that may be occurring in the State.

How do I file a complaint with RICO?
Simply complete a RICO complaint form. Complaint forms are available below. You can also call or write and a complaint form will be mailed to you. There is no fee to file a complaint.  There is also no time limit, however, it is best to file your complaint as soon as possible. Complaints that involve situations distant in time are more challenging to investigate.

What kind of complaints does RICO investigate?
Some of the more typical complaints RICO receives involve allegations of poor workmanship, negligence, or unlicensed activity. Less frequently, RICO receives complaints alleging sexual contact with patients or clients, criminal convictions, and misappropriation of funds. Some things, even if proven true, may not constitute grounds for discipline. For example, concerns that a patient has been made to wait a long time at a doctor’s office, or that a licensee has charged a lot of money for a particular service, are not usually within the licensing authority’s jurisdiction.

Will RICO represent me?
RICO attorneys do not represent individual consumers. RICO’s primary obligation is to take the actions necessary to ensure that licensing violations are appropriately addressed. Therefore, in addition to filing a RICO complaint, we strongly advise all consumers to immediately explore any civil remedies they may have. An investigation or prosecution by RICO does not prevent you from pursuing any private right of action or civil remedies you may be entitled to.

Why should I file a RICO complaint?
RICO relies on information from consumers to monitor conduct in the industry and to watch for unlicensed activity. Your information helps.

Which form should I use?

RICO provides specific complaint forms in the following areas/industries: Contracting, Healthcare, Motor Vehicle Sales, Motor Vehicle Repairs, Real Estate, Real Estate Appraising, and Travel Agencies.   Use the general RICO Complaint Form for all other areas.  To report information about an individual or business who may be advertising or working in your area without a license, please complete a RICO Report of On-Going Unlicensed Activity form.   An additional form is also provided for condominium issues.

Additional information:

Click here to download Instructions for Filing a RICO Complaint.

Click here to download the Self-Help Letter.

Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions for Consumers with Complaints against Licensees.

List of Current RICO Report and Complaint Forms (PDF):

Use this form to file a report about possible on-going unlicensed activity in any industry.  (If you have entered into a contract or agreement with an unlicensed company or individual, please complete the appropriate complaint form in the next section.)

Use the appropriate forms below to file a complaint or report against a licensee or if you have entered into a contract or agreement with an unlicensed company or individual.

  •  Contracting – Use this form to file a complaint about a contractor, electrician or plumber.
  • Motor Vehicle Sales   – Use this form to file a complaint about a motor vehicle dealer or salesperson.
  • Real Estate – Use this form to file a complaint about a real estate transaction.
  •  Travel Agencies  – Use this form to file a complaint about a travel agency.

General RICO Complaint Form – Use this form to file a complaint about industries RICO regulates, which are not listed above.