PVL Instructions Test


Access this form via website at:  www.hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/pvl

Applicants are subject to current licensure requirements.


Hawaii does not have reciprocity agreements with any other state or country.  All applicants must meet the licensing requirements of the Board of Chiropractic Examiners (Board) in accordance with Chapters 442 and 436B, HRS, and Chapter 76, HAR.














Successfully completed at least sixty (60) semester hours or equivalent of college credit in a pre-chiropractic program, as set forth by the Council on Chiropractic Education (“CCE”).  (Students who were matriculated in a degree granting chiropractic college prior to October 15, 1984 are exempt from this requirement).


Graduated from a chiropractic college accredited by Council of Chiropractic Education, Straight Chiropractic Academic Standards Association (prior to 6/4/93), or other chiropractic school accrediting body recognized by the U.S. DOE.


Arrange to have official TRANSCRIPTS that verifies successful completion of chiropractic college sent directly to the Board.  Have your chiropractic college complete the attached “Chiropractic College Certification” form (CHIR-07) and send it directly to the Board.



NBCE Exams

























Each applicant for chiropractic licensure shall be required to pass the National Board of Chiropractic Examiners’ (NBCE) examinations.


One of the following must be met:

1.   Passed the NBCE Parts I, II, III, IV, and physiotherapy; OR

2    Passed the NBCE Parts I, II, III, physiotherapy, and Special Purpose Examination for Chiropractic (SPEC); if licensed under the laws of another state(s) after December 31, 1988 and provided license(s) is (are) in good standing; OR

3.   Passed the NBCE Parts I, II, physiotherapy, and SPEC; if licensed under the laws of another state(s) prior to January 1, 1989 and license(s) is (are) in good standing.


Note:  NBCE Exams are not administered in Hawaii at this time.


Arrange to have an official RECORD OF SCORES for applicable NBCE exams sent directly to the Board from the NBCE.


Contact the NBCE at:

National Board of Chiropractic Examiners

901 54th Avenue

Greeley, Colorado80634

(970) 356-9100


For information about SPEC, contact the NBCE or visit www.NBCE.org.


Submit the NBCE’s form, “Authorization to take SPEC and/or Request/Requirement for SPEC Transcript” with your application (download from www.NBEC.org) if you have not already taken the SPEC and if either 2 or 3 applies to you.





Have all jurisdictions where you hold or held a license at any time, complete the attached “Verification of License form.  This “Verificationform may be duplicated as needed.  Allow at least 6 weeks for other jurisdictions to complete this form.  Some jurisdictions charge a fee for verification service.  Contact the appropriate licensing agency for information on their procedures and fees.  The applicant is responsible for any fees incurred.  If you are not licensed within one year of filling your application, you will be required to update your license status verifications from the other state boards.













CHIRO-00 0805R

If applying for licensure between January 1, even-numbered year,

to December 31, even-numbered year, pay………………………………………………………………    $310

(Application fee – $50*, License fee – $75, CRF – $110,  second year of two-year

license period  – $75)










If applying for licensure between January 1, odd-numbered year,

to December 31, odd-numbered year, pay……………………………………………………………….    $180

(Application fee – $50*, License fee – $75, CRF – $55)

Attach check or money order made payable to COMMERCE & CONSUMER AFFAIRS.

*   Application fee is not refundable.

**  Subject to renewal on or before December 31, of each odd-numbered year, regardless of issue date.


Note:  One of the requirements which must be met in order for a new license to be issued is the payment of fees in accordance with rules adopted pursuant to chapter 91, HRS.  You may be sent a license certificate before the check you submitted clears the bank.  If the check is returned to the DCCA unpaid, it will constitute a failure to pay the required licensing fee and the license certificate issued will not be valid and you may not conduct business under that license.  A $15.00 service fee will be charged for checks which are not cleared and subsequently returned from the bank.

If for any reason you are denied the license you are applying for, you may be entitled to a hearing as provided by the Hawaii Administrative Rules, Title 16, Chapter 201, and/or Hawaii Revised Statutes.  You must submit a written request for a contested case hearing to the Board and must be made within sixty (60) days after     your application for license is denied.






Mail required items to:       Board of Chiropractic Examiners

DCCA, PVL Branch

P.O. Box 3469

Honolulu, HI96801

Deliver to office location:

335 Merchant St., Room 301

Honolulu, HI96813

Phone:  (808) 586-3000





It is the responsibility of each doctor of chiropractic to read and study the chiropractic laws Chapter 442, Hawaii Revised Statutes, and rules, Chapter 76, Hawaii Administrative Rules.  A copy of the chiropractic laws and rules are available by submitting a written request to:  Board of Chiropractic Examiners, Commerce & Consumer Affairs, P.O. Box 3469, Honolulu, HI96801. Chapter 436B, Hawaii Revised Statutes, the Professional and Vocational Licensing Act should be read in conjunction with Chapter 442 and Chapter 76.


The laws and rules are posted on the Internet at:  www.hawaii.gov/dcca/areas/pvl.  Click on “Chiropractor”.






Pursuant to HRS §436B-9 your application shall be considered abandoned and shall be destroyed if you fail to provide evidence of continued efforts to complete the licensing process for two consecutive years.  The failure to provide evidence of continued efforts includes but is not limited:  (1) failure to submit any required information and documents requested by the licensing authority within two consecutive years from the last date the documents and information were requisted, or (2) failure to complete any additional requirements for licensure that remain after approval of your application, such as attempting to complete an exam requirement, within two consecutive years from the date your application was approved, or (3) failure to provide the licensing authority with any written communication during two consecutive years indicating that you are attempting to complete the licensing process.  If an application is deemed abandoned the applicant shall be required to reapply for licensure and comply with the licensing requirements in effect at the time of the reapplication.






All licenses, regardless of issuance date, are subject to renewal on or before December 31 of each ODD‑numbered year.  Renewal application form and fees and continuing education hours (no practice-building courses accepted) are required.






Changes must be reported to the Board in writing within 30 days of the change.











This material can be made available for individuals with special needs.  Please call the Licensing Branch Manager at (808) 586-3000 to submit your request.