File an Identity Theft Report

Recent events involving security breaches of databases containing sensitive identifying information, such as social security numbers and addresses, have highlighted the importance of taking steps to protect personal information from identity thieves.

A security freeze can help prevent identity theft because your credit files cannot be shared with potential creditors. Most businesses will not open credit accounts without first checking your credit history. If your credit files are frozen, even someone who has your name and social security number would probably not be able to obtain credit in your name.

To freeze your credit file, you must write to each of the three credit reporting agencies (“CRA”); Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. Each CRA will require a $5 fee to place, temporarily lift, or remove a freeze but will waive the fee if you are a victim of identity theft. To prove you are a victim (and to avoid the fees) you must send a copy of an identity theft report to each of the CRAs.

As consumer counsel for the state, the Office of Consumer Protection (“OCP”) is the primary law enforcement agency responsible for investigating violations of laws enacted to protect consumers and for the enforcement of such laws. As such, you may submit a valid OCP identity theft report to a CRA to document theft of your personal information.

To obtain a valid OCP Identity Theft Report, you must complete and mail an identity theft report to OCP at:

Office of Consumer Protection

Leiopapa a Kamehameha Building

235 South Beretania St., Room 801

Honolulu, HI 96813

Upon receipt, OCP will review your report, assign it a case number, and mail it back to you at the address listed in your form.

You may also contact your local police department or login at the Federal Trade Commission website,, to report identity theft.


Download (PDF, 706KB)