IOLANI SCHOOL TEAM WINS LIFESMARTS HAWAII STATE COMPETITIONPosted on Feb 20, 2016 in News Releases
DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND CONSUMER AFFAIRS
DAVID Y. IGE
CATHERINE P. AWAKUNI COLÓN
TY Y. NOHARA
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Feb. 20, 2016
IOLANI SCHOOL TEAM WINS LIFESMARTS HAWAII STATE COMPETITION
HONOLULU – The team from Iolani School won the 12th annual LifeSmarts Hawaii competition, which was held today at the State Capitol Auditorium.
The game-show style competition tests students on their knowledge of personal finance, health and safety, the environment, technology, and consumer rights and responsibilities. Teams also created a 30-second public service announcement promoting the LifeSmarts Hawaii Program and the state competition prior to today’s event.
The members of the winning team are: Chase Nakamura (Team Captain), Drey Tengan, Landon Sur, Norton Kishi and Sean Callahan. The team coach is James Rubasch. The team will go on to represent Hawaii at the national competition in Denver, Colo., April 9-12, 2016.
“It is very rewarding to see these students excel in consumer education topics. Their knowledge will enable them to be smart and savvy consumers,” said Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) Director Catherine Awakuni Colón. “Congratulations to all of the teams especially the winning team from Iolani School.”
“We’re very proud of all the students who participated in today’s competition. They demonstrated a high level of consumer knowledge and dedication to the program. A special congratulations to our 2016 State Champions, Iolani School. We wish them the best as they test their skills at the national level,” said Securities Commissioner Ty Nohara.
The LifeSmarts program is run by the National Consumers League and locally by the DCCA Office of the Securities Commissioner, in partnership with the Hawaii Credit Union League. Local sponsors for the Hawaii State Competition include:
- BBB Foundation of Hawaii, Inc.
- Certified Hawaiian Inc.
- Coastal Construction Co., Inc.
- Gumdrop Cases
- Hawaii Construction Alliance
- Hawaii Regional Council of Carpenters
- International Union of Bricklayers & Allied Craftworkers, Local 1
- Laborers’ International Union of North America, Local 368
- Operating Engineers Local Union No. 3
- Operative Plasterers’ and Cement Masons’ Union, Local 630
- Hawaii Credit Union League
- Hawaii State Federal Credit Union
- Hawaiian Electric Employees FCU
- HawaiiUSA Federal Credit Union Foundation
- Oahu Federal Credit Union
- Pearl Hawaii Federal Credit Union
- Hawaii Medical Assurance Association “HMAA”
- Hawaii State Teachers Association
- Hawaii Government Employees Association, Local 152
- HCEE (Hawaii Council on Economic Education)
- Junior Achievement of Hawaii
- State of Hawaii, Department of the Attorney General, Crime Prevention and Justice Assistance Division, Community and Crime Prevention Branch
- United Public Workers AFSCME, Local 646
- University of Hawaii at Manoa Financial Literacy Program
More information about the LifeSmarts Hawaii program may be found atwww.LifeSmartsHawaii.com.
# # #
Theresa Kong Kee
Securities Education Specialist
Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs
Office of the Securities Commissioner
Office: (808) 587-7400
Cell: (808) 864-2986