HIRING: Consumer Protection Information Specialist
Consumer Protection Information Specialist
The State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) is seeking a self-directed individual for the position of Consumer Protection Information Specialist “Specialist” within the Office of Consumer Protection (OCP). The exempt, non-civil service position will provide consumer and scam protection education to consumers and the general public on behalf of the department with an emphasis on OCP, the Regulated Industries Complaints Office (RICO), and the Consumer Resource Center.
Responsibilities include developing and preparing educational materials for distribution and presentation to the public; representing DCCA at seminars and workshops; responding to public and media inquiries; managing and developing content for DCCA’s website; handling social media channels; serving as department’s spokesperson on as-needed basis, and other tasks as assigned.
The position will also complement the work of the DCCA Communications Officer, provide assistance, and serve as a backup to the Communications Officer. As such, the Specialist should have the experience, education and aptitude to serve temporarily in the role or the capacity to develop the skills required.
In addition to consumer protection outreach, DCCA has important roles in the recovery phase of an emergency event and this position will assist the Director’s Office in departmental outreach functions. The Specialist will also serve as backup to the Communications Officer on departmental operational and administrative emergency functions.
The ideal candidate takes the initiative to further the department’s consumer protection mission with minimum supervision; is comfortable dealing with members of the public, can effectively distribute messages through various mediums, and has the ability to coordinate multiple activities and projects.
Desired skills include but are not limited to:
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Experience with graphic design and visual content production;
- Social media strategy and content management, including planning, drafting and scheduling posts, and monitoring all major platforms (Facebook, Website, Twitter);
- Comfort speaking to the public individually and in group settings;
- Exceptional organization skills to assist with day-to-day operations and activities;
- Strategic and creative thinking for the development, organization, and execution of consumer protection programs;
- Ability to quickly and effectively adapt to departmental needs, as well as facilitate an efficient and timely workflow;
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external organizations, groups, team members and other individuals;
- Ability to draft news releases, fact sheets, media advisories, talking points, copy for newsletter, brochures, websites, etc.;
- Ability to reach out and engage local and national media including TV, radio, print and online media outlets; and
- Functional knowledge of Microsoft Office products and the ability to keep up to date with new technologies and platforms.
A Bachelor’s degree and 3 year(s) of progressively responsible professional experience with responsibilities for journalism, communication, government, public relations, or related field; or equivalent education/training or experience is required.
The position’s starting salary is $60,000 and State of Hawaii government benefits apply.
If you are interested, please email to a resume, cover letter, and work samples to: [email protected] Please include in the subject line the word “RESUME.”
Applications will be accepted through Tuesday, December 31, 2019.